• $490,000 for the restoration of the USS The Sullivans at the Buffalo and Erie County Naval and Military Park.
Asked how he determined which projects should get earmarked funding in his district, Higgins said: “Early on, we met with various groups that made requests to my office, and then we made a determination as to what projects are most impactful relative to the community .”
The majority of House members from both parties did the same thing and therefore ended up with millions to bring back home, too. Rep. Chris Jacobs, an Orchard Park Republican, also got more than $8 million in earmarks in the bill, including:
• $3.9 million for the Niagara Orleans Wireless Broadband Initiative.
• $2 million for the Lockport Memorial Hospital Campus of Mount St. Mary’s Hospital.
• $900,000 for the GLOW YMCA Healthy Living Campus.
• $597,289 for the Wyoming County Fire Training Center.
• $515,685 for the Royalton-Hartland Agriculture Center for Excellence Outdoor Learning.
• $379,432 for the Cornell Cooperative Extension Ag/Tech Community Response & Learning Center.
Jacobs’ request for broadband funding was especially large, but he argued that it is badly needed in rural Niagara and Orleans counties.